Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Trifle By Susan Glaspell

I like how the beginning starts out kind of making me wonder like why is everything not finished. It makes me wonder what happened and I like how it kind of prepares you for the scene. It sets the mood for a mystery and kind of makes me feel like i'm watching a Scooby Doo mystery. It kind of sounds like his Minnie killed him because she's kind of acting like a robot and she says he died because of rope around his neck. When she says it she says it kind of casual like it was nothing that he husband was killed. It just shows that she killed him but she doesn't feel bad for what she did. If a rope was around his neck wouldn't she have known who did it if they were sleeping in the same bed? It kind of seems like she doesn't care that she got caught and she wanted someone to know becsue she didn't call for help and when Hale asks to speak to him she tells him like it's no big deal. She didn't even try to hide the body. Hale even describes her as not seeming concerned and if that was my husband I would be crying and the police would have been called as soon as possible. The story also doesn't state that she didn't do it. She doesn't really deny anything accord to Hale's recollection. I also thought it was strange that she cared more about her preserves then her husband esspecially if she is on trial for murder. I think the women are more focused on the up keep on the home while the men want to try to find some evidence that she killed him. Mrs Hale kind of feels bad for her she feels that Minne is the same good person that she was when she was young. But John kind of killed her happiness and she's kind of in denial about the whole thing. In my opinion she knows Minnie did it but she doesn't want to believe it. She constantly trying to find a reason why she couldn't have done it.I think she thinks that she could have saved Minnie from John if she would have only stopped by occasionally. Mrs Hale is kind of taking the blame for everything that his happened. Since there was a gun in the house and John was hung it showed that Minnie really wanted him to suffer just like she suffered through their marriage with unhappiness. I think singing was the one thing that brought her joy and kept her sane but then he made her quit and he even killed the bird which made her even more insane. I also wondered why one hinge was pulled apart. I men I know back in the days that men didn't fear women for any reason. Personally I think she killed him when he killed the bird. Mrs Hale knew that John was a little looney. She knew that something wasn't right about him and that's why she blamed herself. Minnie was her good friend and she pretty much left her there to die. She left her alone with a man that she knew she had a feeling something about him wasn't right. Instead of helping her or coming around she stayed farther way because at first she didn't want any part of John. She knew that Minne was sweet and innocent and John was the complete opposite. In a way she kind of feels like a murderer.
Setting: Inside of Wade's house at night
Theme: If you don't speak when you know something is wrong then you're just as guilty as the person who did the bad deed and never put off tomorrow what you could do today. Mrs Hale shouldn't have waited until John got killed to say something. She should have came over and tried to help Minnie escape when she ws could have and none of these would have happened.
Irony: I thought it was ironic that she killed her husband and kind of waited for someone to find out as if she is kind of proud of what she did.
Characterization: I feel that almost everyone was a stock characters. They were all helping to build up Minnie and Mrs Hale. Minnie and Mrs Hale were flat and round character. Minne started off as a sweet and innocent person then she turned into a brutal murderer of her husband. Mrs Hale started off as being Minnie's good friend but then she slowly started to fade out of Minnie's life now she regrets it and will do anything to for her and to keep her alive because she thinks it's all her fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment