The characters in this story are:
The priest (Flat and Static) :He's a sweet man that left all his money to institutions and gave his furniture to his sister when he died.
Narrator (Dynamic and Round): He has a crush on his best friend's sister.
The Coachman (Flat and Static): He takes care of the horses and shakes music out of the buckled harness.
Mangan (Flat and Static): The narrator's best friend. He likes to tease his sister because he does anything she tells him to do.
Mangan's Sister (Round and Static): She tells him what to do and calls him in the house.
Narrator's Aunt (Flat and Static): She takes him to the market and takes care of the narrator.
Narrator's Uncle (Flat and Static): He takes care of him also. He believes in all work and no play makes people dull.
Mrs.Mercer (Round and Static): she's a old widow that collects stamps. She gossips.
The woman at the shop (Flat and Static): She is the sales lady. She doesn't really want to be bothered from her conversation with the two men and she makes sure the boy senses that and goes away.
I thought the story was kind of cute because it was kind of like a love story because he had a crush on his best friend's sister. The first time I read it I seems like he was crushing on his best friend's sister and they both wanted to go out of town. But she couldn't go he said he would get her something. The second time I read it I picked up a little more details. That Mangan's sister was so much on his mind that he couldn't concentrate in school and that he really wanted to go to the bazzar and bring his crush a gift. So he waits around for his uncle to come home from work and give him money to catch the train and go. But his uncle comes home late and wants to talk and sing. But finally gives him the money and he goes to the Bazzar only to find out that almost all the shops are closed except for one. He walks up to the counter and this woman is talking to two men and doesn't really want to be bothered by the narrator and the narrator sense that so he doesn't buy anything from her. In the end he's mad because he doesn't have gift for his crush and there's no other place to get out. When I read it the second time I liked it a little bit more because it reminds me of when I was a kid. If I really liked someone I wouldn't go out of my way to impress them like buying them something to drink or making sure I looked extra cute when I was around them. But that's life everyone does that so I can understand where the narrator is coming from.
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment